Field sobriety tests are used to determine whether you have exceeded the legal amount of alcohol consumption, and are generally regarded as reliable in their use against you to convict you of a DWI. However, did you know these tests are often incorrectly administered, or even administered in faulty conditions which may significantly alter results to the benefit of the courts? If you took one and failed, our Houston DWI lawyers can fight the validity of your field sobriety test by considering a number of important factors.
The following can affect the validity of your field sobriety test, including but not limited to:
- Uneven ground – While you are expected to walk in a straight line and are presumed to be intoxicated if you stumble, even the most sober of people cannot do so when the ground is uneven.
- Pre-existing health issues – Many medical conditions or medications may prevent you from passing certain aspects of your test, such as following a moving object or keeping your balance.
- Officer’s history of accuracy – If the police officer has a history of administering these tests incorrectly, there is no reason to doubt yours were performed correctly.
- BAC equipment – The BAC equipment used may not have been properly calibrated, or may have simply been a faulty or old machine.
- Quality of test – The BAC operator must have used a new mouthpiece, provided clear instructions, and given you at least 15 minutes before you blow.
Contact Our Houston DWI Lawyers Today
With so much at risk following a DWI conviction, it is essential you explore all options before you succumb to the costly and damaging consequences. At Tyler Flood & Associates, our Houston DWI lawyers will consider any and all opportunities for relief from your charge, because we feel there is a solution for even the most challenging of cases. We are passionate about going beyond what it takes to ensure you can move on from this situation as positively as possible.
Speak to a representative of our firm today by calling (713) 497-1223.